PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pedestrian access from LHR T4
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2018, 15:01
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by t1grm
I've a 11 hour stopover in London in a couple of weeks (LAS - LGW - LHR - MLA). Instead of doing the usual of going into town and sitting in the pub I though I might try and get a bit of walking done. I'm going to try to get to the Grand Union Canal from T4 via the River Crane by foot and then make my way along the canal towpath from there. My plan is as follows:

Arrive T4 tube
Exit T4 to Hilton via walkway (I don't think you can walk out of T4 to the A30 via the exit road from the pick up and drop off zone - is that right?)
Not sure, never tried that and there is a lot of building work going on just outside T4 ATM ( new hotel going up) so the walkway is not a bad idea..but at the far end I wouldn't head for the Hilton, ....I'll offer a perhaps better way via PM

Make my way from the Hilton to the A30
Head east on A30

Yep, make sure you pick up the A30, not the perimeter road, otherwise you run out of footpath

Pick up the river crane just past Hatton cross and then head north under the A4 and to the Grand Union Canal from there..Does that sound feasible? Does anyone know if there is a footpath along the river crane all the way to the Grand Union?
This is the tricky bit:.

If you stay on the A30 then east of Hatton Cross you are blocked from turning to the left/north by the tube line (which above ground at that point) until you get to well east of the Crane at the junction of the A30 with the Parkway..(the road to Hayes..), Instead when you reach Hatton X you'll need to try and "sidestep" north and pick up the Eastern Perimeter Road or Envoy Avenue, (which definitely has a foot path on it)..you then need to pick up Earhart way to get to the Crane, (just be warned a short section of it is signed as restricted access,) but I've walked it without any bother .....however on the occasions I've been along it, either on foot or in a vehicle, I don't ever remember ever seeing a footpath on the Crane...

Last edited by wiggy; 8th May 2018 at 15:57.