PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2018, 10:54
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizz Air - Athens

Originally Posted by Boeing737-8
Speaking to someone who works at the airport last night. They were telling me that Wizz have starting strong on Athens with flights having a good load of at least 90% (219 yesterday). I do wonder if this might see an increase of frequency with an evening service being added on in the next year. For a large city like Athens, I feel it's underserved from London comparing to the likes of Istanbul & Bucharest.

I flew the route on the opening day on Sunday 29th April and flew home last Thursday 3rd May, the flight was well over 90% full on both flights, and was operated by the A321 with 230 seats.

Still not an amazing experience at Luton, the queues at security were over 30 mins, which is the longest I've waited since it was down stairs and backed right up the new boarding pass barriers, also at 5am hardly any seating departures was available to use.

I would probably say 60+% of passengers were Greeks on the new route, and many were not impressed with Wizzair and pretty unhappy with how things are handled by the airline/handling agents at Athens Airport and questionable if they will be using Wizz again?

Wizzair park on remote stands in the furthest corner of Athens airport, and everyone is bussed to the terminal.

Also there is a lot dis-organisation, they call the flight for boarding just as the aircraft has landed from Luton into Athens, we are then bussed to the remote stand. But the in-bound passengers from Luton have not finished leaving the aircraft, then all the passengers waiting to board are packed in like sardines on buses waiting by the aircraft for 20-30 mins in 30 celcius weather. When the aircraft has finished with all the leaving passengers, the cabin crew will not allow us to board until they have done their checks which is another 10-15 mins. Was waiting by the aircraft for 40+ mins in very hot weather!

Exactly the same situation on my inbound flight to Athens the return flight passengers were locked in buses on the apron.

This might sound typical of other low cost airlines, but at Athens, Ryanair and easyJet park directly by the terminal and not by remote stands. I got the impression, many Greek passengers regularly travel between London and Athens, and were not impressed with this in the slightest and might vote with their feet.

It is not like this is teething problems with the handling agents at Athens, the airport has seven routes from other destinations with Wizz Air too.

Myself and along with 30+ other passengers had issues checking in using the app (despite checking in the night before) and getting our boarding passes to download and was stung for 35 Euros each for a printed boarding pass. So I guess I am feeling a little anti WizzAir right now, but I've filled in an online complaint form and will see how we get on.

Got flights with them in the coming weeks to Reykjavik and Orhid in the next few weeks, and looking at the online seating maps where you can purchase seats, these flights are looking pretty busy too! So in general I would guess Wizz are going from strength to strength from Luton.

Last edited by gilesdavies; 8th May 2018 at 11:28.