PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which training? Which licence? Complete Newbie
Old 7th May 2018, 15:20
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I would go for the full PPL. The capital cost of a C152 or PA38 is much less than that of an EV97 or C42 so although they're likely to be older and shabbier the cost per training hour isn't that much more and it does offer you more flexibility in the future: it's always going to be easier to step down than to step up. The PPL is also more expensive than an NPPL partly because it includes more hours of instrument flying. Training is fun in itsself. Sure, it's nice to finally get your license and set off on your own steam, but it isn't as if the extra hours of training aren't enjoyable as well. If they aren't, then there's something wrong.

An NPPL may let you fly an aircraft through the Phillipines. I don't know. But basing a local aircraft there and licensing it is another matter. And whatever the rules are now, your question is 'what will the rules be in a decade?'

My impression is that the low end group A permit aircraft on AFORS are generally cheaper and more capable than the 3 axis microlights.