PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2018, 08:42
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I re-watched episode one of the Chris Terrill documentary yesterday on BBC IPlayer yesterday and caught up with episodes two and three. I have commented on episode one before, noting the Cdr (Air)'s comments about integration, the chockheads training at Culdrose, and the training role of the mighty Sea Harrier - still aiding Navy and Nation. The second episode was more about things like engineering trials, some gunnery serials, and the inevitable mishaps that happen in a warship. The issue with the propeller shows the complexity of of the engineering - but of course that is why you have trials.

The second one also featured Merlins landing on and taking off from the deck - although I was disappointed that it was not pointed out that providing multiple ASW helicopters for long range task group ASW is an important carrier role. The third episode was a little disappointing with little coverage of flying during a period when the deck would have been busy. They did show some of the features that will contribute to her ability to deal with major flight deck fires. The visit to the United States and coverage of the F-35B testing (and interview with RN Pilot) was good, as was finally seeing her being commissioned by Her Majesty and the White Ensign being raised.

As ever, the use of 'it' instead of 'she' or 'her' annoyed me a bit, as did the constant use of 'on' [the ship], as opposed to 'in' - see Chapter One of BR67. However this was meant to be easy to understand, hence Caroline Catz explaining what RPM stands for and what Port and Starboard mean. I was pleased that she noted the role of Communications - the F-35B will contribute to the C4ISTAR capabilities of a task group in a way no other aircraft (or ship) can.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 25th May 2018 at 23:12.