PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job hunting- Where to spend that extra money?
Old 7th May 2018, 00:46
Seagull201

Originally Posted by IFlyPlanesSometimes
About to head off on the classical job hunt up north within a few months, I have found myself with roughly $5K to burn outside of the expected relocation costs.

I'm wanting to use this to gain something to boost my stock standard 250 hour resume. Any recommendation on what would help me stand out the most? i.e one of many GA starter courses to build a bit of C200 series time and learning basic pilot maintenance? or even gaining a NFVR on top of my instrument rating.

key ones I'm looking at is Flight Standards in Darwin, 5hrs C210, LAHSO approval, pilot maintenance, and obviously Darwin familiarisation. Price $4K

There is also Pearson Aviation Mildura, 10hrs command C206 + 2hrs dual, pilot maintenance. Price 5K (best value personally)

Also, in Melbourne, the AJPA, offering Turbine Endorsements for $4K or a JPA for $2.5K

I apologise if this topic has been beaten to a pulp before, but couldn't personally find anything on this particular topic, any help will be appreciated, thanks!
If you ask me, you should have already been there in March, not wait a few months.

I've seen that website and 4K is ridiculously expensive from a flying school offering 5 hours training in a C 210.
It's important to have some basic aircraft maintenance knowledge, the hangar work will help.
A charter company advertised last week for a for low time applicant with 10 hrs C 210 time and 250 hours total.

Unless you been up there before,the landscape and environment up there (NT), is totally different to flying from a capital city airport (Syd/Mel/Bne etc).
Don't forget ,there's tonnes of other people in your position that are already there and have analysed their chances of getting their first job on a single.

You might have to concentrate on getting any non flying job first and be prepared to stay there (DRW) for a while, until you increase your networking ( contacts),
something could come up sooner or later.
If you had a flight instructor rating, you could even get into the local flying schools as a junior instructor.

My experience with DRW is, a person can walk into most single engine C210 jobs, if they are a LAME or have a couple of hundred hours flight time, or can run the flight department office,
or are at the right place and time for a pilot position opening. I'm sure you'll work it out.

You may need to spend another 4K the longer you stay to keep yourself current.