PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2018, 17:44
PPRuNeUser0176

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SecondDog
No it wasn't. It is far to easy to make a blasé statement like that. That is half the problem. The airport had put additonal measures in place and were let down by a contractor. Of course there is no explaining that to the public, they just see an airport and can't understand why arriving at 0615 for a 0700 flight is madness (for example). Now I expect to see that from the gen pop. but I had expected you guys on here to understand the realistic picture a bit more.
Passengers may be partly to blame but I fail to see what sort of planning they put in place which left them down and ended up with 2 hour queues. How many lanes were operating on Saturday?

The CEO should of called BHD to send up some staff!!!

There is only so much planning you can do with a lack of available / skilled staff and procedures change not to mention working time regulations, I feel like this point has been overlooked already in my post.

Its not like hiring someone for a shop that can start in a week..
I agree somewhat. Given the capacity growth this summer, planning should have been better and started earlier. Its the first weekend of the main summer schedule and it will only get busier. The problem here is if the above link is accurate 2 hours is nothing short of disgraceful. A long security queue typically is 30-45 minutes.

I hope BFS is not going into a period of low fees to driver passengers and fail to put adequate infrastructure in place.

I see they are trying to recruit another 50 for security. However, at the current level of unemployment we have, that will not be easy, especially a job on minimum everything. Staff turnover is a very expensive game. If they want to recruit and retain, I'm afraid they will be forced to improve the package, otherwise this will happen often especially now that the airport is very busy. When you are passing through it, as I do often, it is noticeably busier.
Recruitment should of started at the latest by January.