PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2018, 11:40
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Bunto
Of course it makes sense. If you can't or won't scale to handle demand in the peak season then the demand shifts to somewhere that can, like the big aerodrome 100 miles down the road.

It makes sense to spend money to make money. It doesn't make sense to hold money and lose money as a result. This applies to any service-based enterprise.
I think you have gone off at the wrong tangent. Someone above mentioned that staff 'sickness' had affected things yesterday and you stated that they should plan for this. I think planning for the possibility that some staff might happen to go sick by having additional people on site ready to take their place is not practical in a business sense. As it happens, there is a plan to call in replacements but that all takes time and people who can fulfil the role are a finite resource (and you have to leave enough to follow on after). Of course there are other aspects of all this that could be improved (to avoid or diminish the potential for the staff absence) but I wish people would have a titter of wit and not just label the airport as a shambles. All that does is dishearten the good people who actually did a really good job yesterday in a very hard circumstance. Put the blame on the low wage culture that is driven by the low cost models of modern business culture. After all, that is the reason that the people who should have been there are not invested enough in their job to put in the effort to attend.