PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD500 RoD in Autorotation
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2018, 11:06
AAKEE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDixson
Thanks for digging up that old report Aakee. The pilot, John ( Jay ) Shapley became good friends over the years. First met him when he was a Boeing Test Pilot in 1964, then later on when he worked for the FAA with Sikorsky on various programs. Sadly, Jay is no longer with us. He was a really good test pilot, appreciated by all who were privileged to work with him.

Interreseting to read about John Shapley and your friendship, sad to hear he isn’t still here. A part of the helicopter history !

Yes, I also glad that you found the issue why I had the opposite oponion from Crab and Pof. Different references.

Crab and Pof, then we probably agree?

Cran: I guess H500 could give you the numbers for ”normal” autorotation values straight ahead: IAS (would be in the ball park of 60(-70kts) and the ROD coupled to this. From this you can calculate the ”normal” range( I take the range question as glide ratio). I guess the glide ratio would be around 3.5:1 a bit depending where in the envelope this is( some faster than Vy and 100% Nr I guess).
Increasing speed towards best range will stretch the glide about 15-20% I guess. And if decreasing the Nr towards min allowed in auto will add around the same numbers again. With Nr min the L/d curve is changed to more effeicient and you could increase the speed further for max glide.

Last edited by AAKEE; 6th May 2018 at 11:11. Reason: iPhone spells....