PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours Building for CPL in LSA
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2018, 10:20
PelicanSquawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZaGaikokujin
To clarify: Do you mean towards your FAA CPL or your EASA CPL?

For FAA the answer is yes as a LSA also falls under the Aircraft - Airplane - Single Engine Land Category.
For the EASA I can't say as the defintion for PIC time is different than the FAA definition and so might be LSA as this class does not exist in EASA land. (I would be happy to know the answer as well)

It was for EASA. And now I think I might be getting confused, I thought LSA was the aircraft that you're permitted to fly with an LAPL, but I see now that LAPL is up to 2 tonnes and 3 passengers. However I think EASA does have a LSA category, so maybe the only difference is service intervals?

From the EASA website.

"Light Sport Aeroplane complies with the following criteria:
  1. A Maximum Take-Off Mass of not more than 600 kg
  2. A maximum stalling speed in the landing configuration (VS0) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated Take-Off Mass and most critical centre of gravity.
  3. A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.
  4. A single, non-turbine engine fitted with a propeller.
  5. A non-pressurised cabin
These specifications apply to aeroplanes intended for "non-aerobatic" and for "VFR day" operation only."

So I guess my question is could I use that kind of aircraft for my PIC, time for CPL? Although its not great that they can't operate at night, I was planning to get my night rating.