PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EZ go-around at Luton
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2018, 19:43
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Busdriver
I used to fly to Luton daily in my previous job, runway exits are quite short (there are no exits at the end of the runway) and ATC i doing a good job spacing traffic tightly, but it does happen that aircraft landing ahead of you miss the exit (by doing a long flare) and are forced to taxi to the end do a 180 turn and backtrack to vacate. And of course there is not enough spacing between for these small misstakes( ATC is counting on pilots to vacate in time, if they were calculating backtracks on all aircraft you would cut the traffic in half) and the trailing aircraft often needs to do a goaround. Have done plenty of GAs my self at Luton, 99% of the time the reason is as stated above!
The aforementioned Blue Air B738 was around 2:30 ahead of the EZY with a tad over 6 nm separation on the final approach.

The FR24 ground track has gaps, but appears to show the B738 having exited via Bravo. The timestamps don't rule out the possibility that it backtracked prior to exiting, though of course the new taxiway is intended to reduce the need for that.