PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Limits Funchal
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2018, 18:32
Fat Busdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had 4 flights into Funchal last year, only 1 landing :-) totally uneconomical. As FOs we are not allowed to be PFs but I do have experience flying into turbulent airports as PF, mainly Dubrovnik, Split and north parts of Norway like Evenes or Bodö. Personally I think Dubrovnik can be as bumpy as Funchal (if you think not I am guessing you only fly there during the summer and not winter when the Bora wind is prevailing with 40-70kt winds). Flying the bus as a local I was taught it had to be done with Auto Thrust off, set the value and do not chase the speed, we basically did not go idle before "firm" touchdown. This does require pilots to want to fly manually to be "in shape" and you get used to it. But if I had to land at Funchal with Autothrust going all over the place (eng going idle at 50ft due windshift) and with "rusty" handflying i would be ****scared!! So companies with SOP that do not allow pilots to fly raw data (When I say raw data I mean that, only pitch and thrust nothing else, no AT no bird) should not be allowed to fly to Funchal! So can a pilot from TAP, Croatia Airlines, Wideröe with multiple experience fly to Funchal (or equivalent) with increased wind limits? No problems! Can a lowcost 3000 hour captain that only flys magenta line (as some SOPs are) do it with increased limits and with same safety? I think not.