PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truvada for HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PreP)
Old 4th May 2018, 18:29
tcm1707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truvada for HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PreP)

Thought I'd share my experience to-date of applying for a Class 3 certificate whilst taking Truvada. I had my initial Class 3 in the middle of March. The AME had no idea what it was.

The guidelines the CAA eventually provided are as follows:

- Applicants should be assessed as unfit when starting/re-starting PreP. They should provide their AME with baseline blood tests for renal function, liver function and serum phosphate measured before starting PreP and repeated after 4 weeks.
- Four weeks after starting/re-starting AMEs should review applicants for side-effects and check the baseline and four week bloods for a fit assessment/issue of an unrestricted Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 or LAPL medical certificate.
- Blood monitoring should be required monthly for the first 3 months and then the period can be increased to 3-4 months thereafter. Blood results to be submitted to an AME for review.

I haven't received any information on what the guidelines are for those who are applying for initial medicals and have already been on PreP for some time. My case has been deferred to the CAA. I'll provide updates when I receive them. Although, I'm very tempted to stop taking it. It seems much more hassle than it's worth. I spoke to my sexual health consultant who was strongly of the opinion that these guidelines are excessive.