PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-200 and 737-300 pilots
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2018, 17:26
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
Slight thread drift coming up. Britannia used to operate a 737-222, registration G-AZNZ. I assume this aircraft was intended for United Airlines but Britannia acquired it in 1972. Anyone know why ? I would have thought United would need all the aircraft they could get in their busy domestic days, plus Britannia at the time were gradually building their own-specification fleet of -204s. Perhaps NZ was an early example of the Advanced variant and surplus to United's requirements. Anyway, I'm speculating wildly here and I really don't know !

Good Q MC
I always wondered too why ZNZ was bought second hand from UAL wherein all of BY's 737-204's were new build for the company from G-AVRL onwards in 1968
maybe UAL were surplus at the time (arab fuel prices?) or BY saw a deal with them - someone here will know for sure

ZNZ was def not an ADV 732 - she was a single galley same as the 204 early build ones - split galleys came along later in the 70's - different batch

she was delivered in the new livery first seen on the 707's (VRL-O XNA-C and WSY were all delivered in the old Britannia white livery)