PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2018, 00:30
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great point well made.
I likened Norwegian’s brand presence to that of Aer Lingus, EI half heartedly went after LGW-EU whereas Norwegian came in and wholeheartedly went for it. Great product, great price, backed up by a lot of money. They earned their place by displacing Monarch for one and offering a good alternative to EZY and BA of course held on. I freely and openly admit I called that one wrong. That’s D8.

However hubris can get the better of the best.
Pan Am and everything after 1969.
United and Allegis
BA and Project Utopia / World Images.

DY see themselves as classic disruptors. It wasn’t enough to make money being best in market, they went a little too far IMHO with their strategy to not just beat SAS but put them out of business, then their smoke and mirrors with at least 6 AOCs. It wasn’t enough to hold their own against the Orange Team at LGW, they now had to beat BA across the atlantic. It’s unfair to say “too big for your boots” or “know your place”, that’s wrong, but at least don’t let hubris bring the whole operation crashing down! D8 is an airline of choice, DI is bleeding money with no end in sight.

I will happily eat my words and read the book on how these guys made a success of paying for a fleet of new 789s by offering fares at a fraction of the competition to SIN and EZE with no proper business class offering by throwing capacity into the low season whilst ordering a fleet of narrow bodies from two different manufacturers that do almost the same job whilst saying you may or may not operate the NEOs, all as your CFO flees. THAT would be a cracking book, and I genuinely hope they do it.