PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minister calls for ga consensus on change to act
Old 4th May 2018, 00:28
Sandy Reith

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
Totally agree, and I've said that before about similar "get out of aviation now" comments.

What sort of message is that sending to potential investors?
I agree also and Captain M has a point about the call “get out now” which was probably good advice if you were simply an investor and not a vocational aviator with no ambition or qualifications for another life and with assets that have already fallen in value. I’ve had conversation with existing flying school owners who would like to quit because the new rules are killing them.

The great frustration is that the new rules actually detract from the efficient training of pilot skills and impose huge additional costs for no actual benefit for the safety of flight. It could easily be argued that the whole system is inimical to safety and should be altered to comply with the Act.

Government treats treats the industry like a bunch of recalcitrant idiot children. Well illustrated by the expression from one CASA personage that the industry was not sufficiently “mature” to be allowed any leeway. This hubristic attitude permeates not just CASA but is the common way of Can’tberra, I’m sorry to say.

These days the Public Service has been replaced by the Public Sector, a transformation which has morphed the “Service” into a competitor against private enterprise. A competitor with a massive advantage, being able to force its power with the whole apparatus of the State. Just look at the CASA fee gouging of the last two or three years, in the unequal competition for aviation dollars they are winning hands down.

This is the stuff that revolutions have been made with, the lessons of history are plain enough.