PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK storing Aircraft at DWC
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:05
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good friend of mine retired from EK last year at age 65. He returned 'home' to the US and now works for Delta, his previous employer, as a ground instructor. He does this not because he wants to but because he needs to. Delta stole his pension 15 years ago and 'invested' his money in a re branding exercise after coming out of Chapter 11. He lost everything. So much for having a union. He came to Emirates 13 years ago and slowly rebuilt his finances. Some of his colleagues stayed at Delta and he admitted himself that if he'd stayed, he'd probably be better off schedule wise although financially, it would be about even. Even so, the fact that he lost his pension left a bitter taste and he always said how grateful he was to EK for affording him the chance to start again as a DEC.

I do wonder sometimes who the 'Kool Aid' drinkers really are? Short term memory or selective memory perhaps? Either way, the Stockholm syndrome seems just as prevelent in the good ol US of A as it is in the sandpit! Those airlines dropped you guys like hot potatoes yet it amazes me how loyal you remain. I guess rose tinted spectacles must be on sale in Walgreens these days, eh boys? Wonder how much the CEO's lost out during Chapter 11!

Anyway, wind up aside, not for one minute do I think EK's conditions, especially lifestyle, can match some of the more established carriers, both in the US and in Europe. However, what I do find amazing is how anytime an EK pilot provides his salary information, he's accused of bragging. Yet, Delta pilots seem immune from this criticism. All I do know is that any relative senior Training Captain within EK who's taking the live out allowance, will easily clear over $290,000 tax free each year. That's achievable after 18 years service.

I don't think anyone needs to justify anything with those figures RK Blue sky.

As for being stuck, yep, agreed, life is pretty crap to be honest. Weekend off so brunch tomorrow, then the boat Saturday with friends. Sunday school run......safe in the knowledge that no loser will be charging around campus with a semi automatic.

But it's good for you though.

Harry