PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2018, 18:31
jeffb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently read 2 books on the formation of 6 Group-one was a semi official diary, the other was the experiences of a pilot assigned to 6 Group. ( 6 Group was the RCAF,s contribution to Bomber Command, in addition of RCAF aircrew who served within RAF squadrons.
In both books, the initial condition of the aircraft were lamented, in particular those airframes relegated to training. In it the pilot observed that he felt many crews were needlessly lost due to the poor mechanical condition of the aircraft. He himself experienced 2 complete engine failures, and was successful in coping; over, however were not.
I am fortunate to have Dads log book, and going through it a few things stand out;
Ansons seem to have given little problems, either in Canada or the UK
Fairy Battles and Bollingbroks seemed to suffer from frequent turret issues, resulting in several flights being incomplete.
All flights on Whitleys appear to be without issues
Halifaxes at HCU seemed relatively problem free, except for recurring issues with oxygen systems, and Gee systems ( rather had to do a GEE stooge with a u/s system)
Training on Lancasters prior to being posted to front line squadron being rather short, just over 10 hours.
At Kirmington, the only major mechanical problem they experienced was the double engine failure I had mention in a previous post; starboard outer caught fire just prior to lift off, and starboard inner failed and caught fire about 40 minutes later. No other problems resulted in operational issues,
Dad did mention that the condition of front line aircraft did vary greatly amongst the squadron, that the sprog crews were assigned what Dad would call the ' the old war horses' These were airframes with some hours on them, as well as battle damage. These were fully repaired, but Dads major observation was that they were, well, a bit clapped out and just wouldn't climb fully loaded
This begs the question, does anyone have any idea what the criteria would have been to remove an airframe from front line service and relegate it to a training role?
Thanks
Jeff