PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still broken? Is the RAF in better or worse shape than ten years ago
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:57
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
Having a quick car wash this morning wondering why no Hawks in the sky, and then from the north came 'that unmistakeable sound' of a powerful machine at low level.
Seconds later a Tornado creamed overhead (full stores and tanks) going like a B O O H at about 300ft.
I immediately thought about this thread and what has been said. It was difficult to comprehend how long these machines have been in front line service and yet I got the feeling that here was a fighting machine with a capable crew that could still do the business, and looked the part. Much more impressive than a 100 year fly past.
I fully agree with you and I have been saying that for a long time. Some of the responses pointed out that Tornado operation could not be sustained due to the severe manning shortages etc. Yes it is getting old but that is not the real issue as it is still extremely capable. Money is the real issue.
Unfortunately the decision to withdraw it from March next year is irreversible and we must hope that the Project Centurion Typhoon jets will give the same level of service for many years to come