PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Immigration & forces brats born abroad
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2018, 07:01
Lascaille

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Lascaille, follow the link, the additional exemptions are very, very narrow.

I didn’t include it because, in the case in question, the only pertinent exemption is if the child was born out of wedlock. To wit.....

Born before 1 July 2006 to a British father

You can register as a British citizen if you:
  • were born before 1 July 2006
  • would have become a British citizen automatically if your parents had been married
  • are of ‘good character’ - see the guidance to form UKF for details......
I think you misunderstand the situation.

Follow the link to the form MN1 guide, there are substantially more exemptions than that. As a person born outside the UK (and currently outside of the UK) I have looked into this.

​​​​​Basically, if you have lived in the UK for 3 years _ever_ in your life before having a child born abroad, and are a 'British citizen by descent' your child is elegible to receive british citizenship by registration unless your parents were also British citizens by descent.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-register-child-under-18-as-british-citizen-form-mn1

The following words copied from Page 10 of the MN-1 form PDF:
-----

To qualify under this section, the parent who is British by descent must have been born to a parent who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or if that person died, then they would have been a British citizen otherwise than by descent but for their death).

The British citizen by descent parent must have lived in the UK (or, if the child was born on or after 21 May 2002, in a British overseas territory) for a continuous period of 3 years at any time before the child’s birth. During that period they should not have absences exceeding 270 days. The application must be made whilst the child is under 18 years of age.

-----