PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Radio Altimeter Alive" call
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 23:55
piratepete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IBE thats an interesting situation indeed.That is a good example of using an appropriate call to bring attention to the terrain.The part of the Boeing/Airbus FCOM (or FCTM) that lists recommended standard callouts is well known by most pilots, however , as is always the case, these aircraft are under the control of the operator and as the postholders (DFO Chief Pilot Training Manager) have the final say with respect to what goes in the OM(A and B), this opens the door to many many different ways of presenting this part of SOPs to the crews.I know this well as I have been a postholder several times and must admit that the first time I had this responsibility I went overboard with standard callouts.Over time I have toned this down and now, if I had to do it again would use the manufacturers calls with minimal changes.However there are a few variations that are just too important from a safety perspective to not use, and the call after the radio altimeter comes alive is one of them.Around the world there are countless versions of standard calls in use some of them quite bizarre, but this is done because IT CAN BE DONE......
A question for you.Can you explain the reason for one manufacturers call at DA "continue"? Why not " landing or land" What is the purpose of this call and when should it be used?.....Peter.