PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Immigration & forces brats born abroad
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:39
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny42C
Was a chap having trouble getting a British Passport as he had been born in India of British parents, who had themselves been born in India of British parents (quite common in former days, as Britons served the Raj from generation to generation)

"So", they said, "you've never been abroad since you came home from India, then?" ... "Well", he said, "I did go to France once - but there was no Passport Control when I led my men ashore on Sword Beach".

Collapse of Stout Party! Hope he got his Passport !
I'm not sure I can get away with that one Danny, though I will try ;-)

Orac, if I have read your post correctly it says that I cannot pass on British citizenship that has been passed down through my ancestors, but I can pass on citizenship that I may have gained through naturalization etc? That can't be right. Even if it is though, it appears that the rules today will change after Brexit (EU citizens are being told not to apply for leave to remain now as the process will shortly be very different).

I guess I will just have to wait and see, and keep my fingers crossed. And Windrush is on the news again. How did we get here?