PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still broken? Is the RAF in better or worse shape than ten years ago
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:07
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad As A Mad Thing
Doesn't that kind of assume that our German friends are just going to sit around eating sausage and drinking beer while we do all this?

What chance would our forces realistically have against a credible and determined adversary? Or to put it another way, what countries could we consider our equals in terms of fighting capability on neutral territory?
I suppose I will answer a question by asking a question. Never say never, but how feasible do you consider full-scale, single nation (no allies) state on state war these days?

I would say its pretty unlikely. Its worth pointing out the UK is exceptionally niche at what it does very well and those things are appreciated by our allies I suspect.

The OP was reminiscing about having 20,000 sopwith camels or something. Firstly, I dont see how those aircraft could be used in multiple roles. Secondly, the pensions bill for the maintainers and pilots at a 2 to one manning ratio alone would bankrupt the country. Finally, the glue and string wouldnt meet first contact post Haddon-Cave with the MAA. Far too flammable.