PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Standard communication
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:08
DooblerChina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread by the way...

This is one of my annoyances, I couldn’t agree more that the big picture can get lost by some trainers however in my airline, that thankfully seems to be in the minority now.

Regarding SOP’s and non standard RT, I reckon I was in that band of ‘I’m too cool to need perfect calls’ 6 or 7 years ago and got pulled up by a good friend who also happened to be a trainer.

His argument was our standard calls are one page long, It’s not difficult to just use them every time, not using them religiously made me look lazy and gash rather than ‘cool.

I was looking at a command and thankfully I got the message and started being completely standard and guess what... within a week, it was easy!!

Now I am i the left seat, I totally get it... last week I flew with an FO who recently joined from another airline, where it seems that every time something is asked for, it is repeated from the other seat. Nothing particularly wrong with that I suppose.... unless it’s not something that is standard now at our airline.

On departure, I asked for gear up... when FO replies gear up... something I have never heard repeated, it confused me... then when I asked for flaps 1... you guessed it, i heard flaps1. I immediately thought something was wrong and a short conversation was had at 1000’. not the ideal time.

I questioned why this was happeneing a little later, and the reason was that he used to do it in the last airline... and no one had ever mentioned it. He left 18
months ago!!!

To me me that is not good, not only has the person not been bothered to get the calls correctly but no one has questioned it in the last 18 months.

Both parties are at fault for this, and now as a Captain, I feel obliged to correct (at the right time and in a polite suggestive manor) SOP deficiencies. If nothing else, when that person comes up for a command, it will be picked up.

Just my thoughts......