PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight review for the night rating
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 00:00
mikewil

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
Most instructors won't simulate an engine failure at night and simulated EFATO in the dark is a dubious proposition. Both should be done as part of the day flight review.

If you want both reviews in one flight from me it would be a requirement to start the review some time before last light.
I find it quite comical that I can keep my flight review (and night VFR) current without the need to fly at night or simulate any form of engine failures simply by completing a IPC during the day in a single.

I recently did my IPC in a single during daylight hours, consisting of about 0.7 flight time (one RNAV with circling approach), a couple other approaches and limited panel in the SIM and I am good to go IFR for 12 months and VFR for 24 months. No simulation of engine failure or flight at night necessary.

The most interesting fact is that I need not have even flown at night in over 10 years, but as long as my IPC is current I can blast off after dark solo. A few circuits solo on said flight and my NVFR is also current again!

Interesting times under Part 61.