PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handling the Big Jets by D.P. Davies
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2018, 17:29
Bellerophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pugilistic Animus

As you say, Stick Nudgers were required and fitted to all BA's B747-100 and 200 aircraft, although judging from comments by TowerDog and bcgallacher, it appears this was not a requirement for B747 aircraft not on the UK register.

Bergerie1

In 1989, following some re-design work on either the flaps, flap tracks or engine mountings (I can't remember which), someone decided there was a requirement to test fly and stall the aircraft to verify that the flight manual data and speeds hadn't changed. I was the co-pilot on a few of these flights and, approaching the clean stall, the severity of the turbulence and general turbulent bouncing around can hardly be overstated. It was shocking and it isn't fanciful to say that it was easy to imagine an engine or parts of the wing coming off, or worse. Happily the test program was quickly halted, I suspect by the B747 Chief Pilot.

stilton

...I wish someone would write an updated version retaining the core of the original publication while adding chapters on fly by wire, fms, and other assorted modern technologies...
Some years ago, on another aircraft type, having just done a simulator check with the then CAA Chief Test Pilot, I did suggest to him that he was the ideal person to do just that. His reply was that attempting to follow in DPD's footsteps and update such a classic book was the very definition of a no-win situation, and if anyone was going to do it, it certainly wasn't going to be him!

Best Regards to all

Bellerophon