PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to review from ground school?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2018, 08:20
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPETTSKY
Hi all,

I've just finished the ground school phase of training on an integrated, ab initio course.

Any suggestions to what I should have a quick recap before I begin my flight training, which would be beneficial to a cadet with limited previous flight experience?

Thanks
Get yourself a copy of the following documents:

CAP 413. Use it like the bible with ALL your comms. Learn how to do a freecall. Learn how to read back clearances, altitudes and reported traffic to the letter. To be a professional, you need to sound like a professional.

EU OPS easy access rules. Dependant on type, however, PART CAT >Performance >PERFORMANCE B will be relevant for Twin work.

Have a look on SENECAV.uk very good website and lots of excellent tips.

UK AIP ENR - make sure you fully understand VFR and IFR, VMC, IMC definitions. Airspace classifications. Definitions for procedural, basic, traffic, deconfliction and radar control.

Get a copy of the SERA regulations. Read them.

Get a copy of the CAA Skyway Code. Use it like the new testament.

Get a copy of the CAA guide to vfr rules. Use it like a prayer book.

Get a copy of jeppy plates for all the airfields you will learn at. Study them. Read all the notes and ensure that you embody any restrictions in how you operate from day one.

Oh, don't forget to enjoy the flying. It's why you are doing this!

Get really comfortable with your checks. Execute the airborne stuff as flow, where the checklists are used to confirm your knowledge. know each and every emergency in your lists and know whether a particular checklist is likely to flow on from another in likely scenarios. For example, engine fire - shutdown - review systems and associated captions post shutdown.

PM me if you are struggling with any element from an understanding perspective.