PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 1st May 2018, 04:33
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leady, I concede that having individual frequencies for marked airfields might be a nice to have but in practice it does not meet the need to keep the system simple. The whole idea of the MULTICOM in Oz is to (a) have low level traffic on the same frequency, and (b) having procedures that are simple and easy to understand/teach/use. Fort Fumble have a knack of making something simple almost impossible to understand or work - not only in airspace!

I can see 126.7 becoming far busier though, so many ADs that currently use CTAF 126.7 will no doubt apply to CASA to consider allocation of a discrete frequency.
Except in a few areas, I don't believe the congestion on 126.7 is as bad as some make out. We have to move forward on this in stages and if it can be demonstrated that we have a congestion problem in a particular area, then not only do CASA have to ramp up their education in that area, but consideration be given to a dedicated frequency. I understand that the issue of multiple circuit calls is on CASA's hit list for education once this is sorted out. Like it or not we have only a limited number of frequencies available and allocating a frequency at some locations would be a waste of resources, and of course take away some of the desired simplicity. I am of the view that some CTAFs with their own frequency do not have the traffic to justify that. Maybe all CTAFs other than those that serve RPT should be reviewed from time to time. That might free up a frequency or two?