PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lion Air
Thread: Lion Air
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2018, 09:57
DaveReidUK

Received 206 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemrytter
Stated in the article
Yes, I should have phrased it better - I was wondering where the ADS-B data supporting the overrun conclusion had come from. It's certainly not from FR24, which only captures the landing track as far as the TDZ.

Originally Posted by Nemrytter
The perils of relying on ADS-B data to make any kind of statement about aircraft final position are well known, I thought avherald would be better than to fall into that trap.
Sadly, and not for the first time, Simon is way out of his depth when it comes to drawing conclusions from ADS-B data (there may be a bit of Dunning-Kruger at play here).

I'm reminded of a similar discussion about 18 months ago (Norwegian B738 at Kristiansand):

Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Nobody (well almost nobody) took the "230 metre skid" scenario seriously after the ADS-B data had been published, given that it would have required the aircraft to have started its takeoff run in the fjord.

If you have finally managed to convince Avherald of that fact without your posts being deleted, IP blocked and emails returned marked "We are not interested in spam" then you are to be congratulated.
Interestingly, there's a even a reader comment in the Avherald report on the Lion Air correctly pointing out that the photo captioned "The aircraft past the runway end" clearly isn't !