PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Standard communication
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2018, 01:03
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the / my point may have been lost. “Airmanship” I’d like to think encompasses knowing what to prioritise & how to get the job done safely & efficiently. Picking a fight with a colleague over a call that has no relevance to getting on with the job is in itself pathetic.

As mentioned, from my experience from an academic, FO, Capt & instructor point of view has caused me to try to look at the “WHY”. If a pilot can’t or doesn’t get the basic SOPs right I ask why. Is he/she lazy & just not read them? Unprofessional & not care? Poorly trained (mostly in my experience!)? Or an arrogant pain in the ar$e who always knows better...? If a pilot can’t or refuses to get the minimums right then what else is lacking?

I’ve flown with a pilot who called a checklist completed when it hadn’t even be read through in a challenge - response manner because in his mind it was done anyway. A waste of his valuable time of course.... The same guy then later tried to insist on some absolutely mind boggling theory as to when & why to perform an RTO. Here’s an example of pure arrogance, ignorance & woeful recruitment as well as very bad training.

I’ve also seen a report on an instructor who gave a crew a conditional pass for failing to conduct a go-around due an automatic “GLIDEDLOPE - GLIDSLOPE” EGPWS callout below 1000 ft AGL. The crew were dealing with a OEI & other engine with moderate to severe vibration/stall/surge with N1 > 50%. The instructor argued the SOP is clear if the approach is unstable...! The crew of course argued common sense. In order to maintain authority the training dept maintained the grade. (To me it only highlights an extremely weak check & training culture at this airline).

I still believe that we must know what black & white is until we can decide or agree what the grey is. And when it isn’t ask why.