PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind Limits Funchal
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2018, 14:18
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
".....and the track has already grown, the areonaves are more evolved and the pilots more training, emphasizing that the Regional Government requested the intervention of these entities with jurisdiction in the matter in the sense that the limits are changed from mandatory to recommendable simply because there is not a single airport in the world with this classification."

Are the limits at GIB recommended or mandatory? There are certainly airports in the world that have more restricting tailwind limits than for the a/c. Considering 'pilots have more training'....Hm. There are many threads on here that debate the opposite. I think with the dilution of sharp end experience, and considering where the diversions are, there are is a strong case for some limitations that remove discretion. The length of the runway, for short-haul a/c doesn't remove rotor and threshold turbulence. Red herring. Back in my days of going there in 80's, for us, it was daytime only. TAP went day/night. Perhaps they were considered more 'local' or moe macho; we were never told. It is a special place and needs respect, not machoism.