PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger Family Sues American Airlines After In-flight Death
Old 29th Apr 2018, 11:33
GrahamO

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by herman the crab
I am aware that you do not shock asystole (rarely flat-line in the true sense of the words - but you know that of course?), but given the poster's gross misunderstanding already I didn't think going into specific cardiac rhythms was appropriate.
So when you shouted NO, to my post, you in fact mean YES !

A defib will not shock a non-moving heart back into life.

Given the report said that the uninformed passenger said the the defib 'did not work' can you not understand that it is more likely the defib was working but had made the informed choice to not shock what was already not working ? Its entirely appropriate to go into specific cardiac rhythms as its entirely appropriate - by reading your post you come across as if stating that a defib will always fire - it will not. I know you know the right answer but your reponse was factually incorrect.

I asked a local A&E Nurse who was in the office for doing training for our aircraft maintenance guys and they confirmed exactly what I posted - a defib unit will choose not to fire unless there is something there to correct. You as a professional will have access and are trusted with the full version of the units but us mere untrained mortals will be relying on commercial units which again, will diagnose and if not finding electrical activity will not fire.