PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest information on CASA giant 40nm 5,000 foot CTAFs
Old 29th Apr 2018, 10:50
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
I would have thought that the content of the posts preceding your post was centrally relevant to the topic. But, in any event...

Do you have any experience in flying IFR in ‘real’ G? E.g. the Canadian G that Dick wants to replicate? What services are provided to IFR aircraft in Canadian G?

Don’t get me wrong: I reckon ‘real’ G would be very character building and instructive for Australian aviation.

I was in fact referring to the previous discussion on Class E and C etc which seems to have dominated this thread in the last page or so.

In relation to Canada:
  • Any airspace that is not designated (A, B, C, D, E, or F) is Class G airspace. This airspace is uncontrolled, and ATC is not usually available (though exceptions are made).
    • Any aircraft may fly in Class G airspace.
Airspace classes A through E are controlled. Class F can be controlled or uncontrolled. Class G is always uncontrolled. Airspace is managed by Transport Canada and detailed information regarding exact dimensions and classification is available in the Designated Airspace Handbook which is published every fifty-six days by NAV CANADA.
Australia Class G: This airspace is uncontrolled. Both IFR and VFR aircraft are permitted and neither require ATC clearance.
In Australia, all airspace that is not promulgated as class A, C, D, E or restricted is Class G, and is open for flight up to, but not including, 10 000 feet amsl to all holders of a valid Pilot Licence/Certificate flying any RA-Aus/HGFA/ASRA registered aircraft. Flight at or above 5000 feet requires VHF radio. Class G extends over most of Australia from surface level to the overlying CTA base at 8500 feet amsl, FL125 or FL180. The total volume of Class G airspace included between the average land mass elevation of 1100 feet and 10 000 feet is some 20 million cubic kilometres.
USA Class G (uncontrolled) airspace is mostly used for a small layer of airspace near the ground, but there are larger areas of Class G airspace in remote regions.
Although there are similarities around the globe in the various classes of airspace, there are also differences, mostly for local geographic or other operational reasons which in Canada relate to operations close the the North magnetic pole and the lack of any comprehensive services. The USA have their G mostly covered by E. In Oz we have limited surveillance and in some areas limited communication capability which has some effect on the services provided and where. Real G only relates to where you might be operating as the differences in many cases are small but the basics are the same - it is uncontrolled.
One significant difference in Oz Class G is the provision of traffic information and flight following to IFR ops. We have learnt to live with that and it is now very much part of our expectations in Class G.
Whilst using the experience of other countries in viewing how we manage Class G we will always come up with some differences, so I suggest there is no 'real G' or perhaps 'unreal G'.
It is a pity that the theory experts in CASA seem to have little or no practical understanding of how Oz Class G has worked since FS was closed.