PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Performance on Jets vs. Turbo Props
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2001, 07:06
Nick Figaretto

Talking

Thanks for the replies!

I had to go through some card board boxes to find the book (I just moved), and I found it at last.

The book is "Aerodynamics for Airline Pilots" (ISBN 87-16-10557-5) by Niels Peder Ternvig. He's an SAS captain with a BSc in Mathmatics/Physics.

What is so excellent about the book, is that it is very thorough (lots of formulas and graphs, for those who like that ), but still easy to follow for any average airline pilot. It is also composed in a very simple manner, which gives you a good overview of the subject even if you skip the really heavy stuff.

On the back side it says: "This volume bridges the gap between basic information for light aircraft pilots and technical litterature for aeronautical engineers." And I believe these words hold true.

Enough advertising...

Anyway, the only thing I am missing is a thorough discussion on why the diagrams used to explain jet performance and turbo prop (or piston engine) performance (in other books) differs. Even though the book is discussing it a bit more than just the sentence I quoted, it's about the only thing that is not crystal clear in it.

I understand from your two answers, that engineers have "chosen" to use power when discussing propeller performance and force (thrust) when discussing jet performance because the diagrams and "models" get simpler and easier to understand/work with. ...due to the fact that propeller thrust decreases with increased speed, and jet thrust remains (fairly) constant with increasing speed.

Am I close?

And Pielander - no offence taken. I guess I'll spend more than 30 years in a jet, so a few years of propeller experience won't do me any harm.

I am actually really happy with the PW125B on the Fokker 50. The design engineers have done an excellent job with those engines, despite any grief and hardship they may have gone through designing it!

Nick.

------------------
"I have found that alcohol taken in sufficient quantity produces all the effects of drunkenness."
~ Oscar Wilde