PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - President Trump UK visit Jul 18
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2018, 09:13
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said elsewhere ----

We are hosting the elected (yes) President of the country which is our closest and longest standing ally in recent history. In my mind, that behoves us to welcome the incumbent and respect the individual's formal position. In politics we cannot choose our friends as we do in normal social life. Often there has to be a recognition that it is necessary to set aside (not ignore) individuals' failings in order to appreciate the wider picture. If we do not, and elect to follow the likes of Cable, Khan and all others who are baying for his blood, then we denigrate our own well established and respected democratic way of life. I do not warm to Mr Trump and dislike many of his public traits: but I will courteously welcome him as the elected representative of my friends in the US. After his short visit, I will hopefully be glad that he came, was accorded civility (and yes, I know that many will say he himself doesn't), and that I am able to wave a polite goodbye; with US and UK relationships intact.

Last edited by jindabyne; 28th Apr 2018 at 12:30.