PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Passenger Fined $500 for apple
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2018, 01:55
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PaxBritannica
I suspect the average passenger (eg. me) would interpret 'I am bringing in fruits, veg etc.' to refer to something specifically being imported by the passenger - such as a live plant or seeds - that have been sourced in another country. I would understand the reasons for these being a problem. I'm not sure I would necessarily see a piece of food given to me by cabin crew on board the plane as being an import in the same sense. It could have been a muffin, or a yoghurt, or a chocolate bar. I would assume the airline wouldn't have served it to me unless it had been 'approved' in some sense. This seems to me basic common sense in the normal world of paying passengers, tired after a long journey.

I'd be interested to know if airlines emphasise to passengers that fruit-based snacks served on board should be disposed off before disembarking? I don't think I've ever heard such an announcement.
It seems that your "basic common sense" is not necessarily universal and probably not terribly common.
Why would you "assume the airline wouldn't have served it to me unless it had been 'approved' in some sense" if the sense is anything other than it being fit for consumption.
I certainly would not assume that the airline has pre-approved it for import into the destination country.

For Australia at least (and probably NZ, Canada, etc.) the declaration lists numerous classifications of items which must be declared.
By declaring them they may be allowed through, depending on source and packaging. I don't like your chances with the yoghurt (dairy) and probably not the muffin (grains, fruit).
By not declaring any of them, or any other food item, you will be liable for a fine.

The penalty is not normally related to the nature of the item. It's not $100 for an apple, $200 for two and $1000 for a squid.
The penalty is for "making a false declaration".

As per my previous post, if the officer suspects that you have been telling fibs he may give you a chance to change your mind, plead insanity, or what ever.
If you try to bluff your way through then expect to be fined.
That is pretty well understood in these parts.

I'd be interested to know if airlines emphasise to passengers that fruit-based snacks served on board should be disposed off before disembarking?
Yes, sometimes. Not always.
International flights into Australia frequently have a short documentary from the Oz Quarantine authorities on the entertainment system. Not specifically from the airline, but close enough.
IIRC this comes up during descent whether you select it or not.