PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2018, 00:22
RealityCzech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IsDon

So, Qantas’s biggest mistake was selling the Connies.

Think of the money we could have saved if we follow your philosophy.

Brainless dolt.
Thanks for the insults.

The Connies are irrelevant to the business case for a new 787/777/350 fleet. Nowhere have I said Qantas should not or will not renew its fleet, I’ve just made the point that it depends on the contermpernaous market conditions, as well as its own cost base at the time. Just because 747s replaced 767s and so on does not mean Qantas needs to replace its current fleet. It will only do so if that option is the most commercially sound choice

As for Virgin currently doing the most of its own metal flying - this is a misleading statement with respect to the international medium-losing haul market, which is what we are talking about in respect to Qantas. Where are the huge 777/350 orders for Virgin if the international market ex AUS is such an obviously lucartive market?

I see no mention of the enormous cap growth to/from AUS over the.last decade. Even the likes of the highly profitable AA have now started reducing cap on the LAX route (777>787) because of the overcapacity that affected yields.

I do think Qantas will acquire more 787s, given the business case is sound with niche markets like PER-LHR and demand still being strong enough to North America to justify shifting 380s to Asia and 787s to Nth America. I also think it is probable that it will get 777s or 350s - but only if the numbers stack up. That is very different to NEEDING to buy them.