PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Club check flights and the eternal dilemma PIC or DUAL
Old 27th Apr 2018, 17:45
Sam_MHN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Club check flights and the eternal dilemma PIC or DUAL

Hi Folks,

As usual I am back to ask advice. I need to ask you about the always unclear issue of club check flights and how they are supposed to be considered, either pic or dual, who is legally entitled to log the hours etc. Here is what I understand, correct me with anything you disagree.

Possible ways of logging hours:

-PICUS: Used in single pilot planes engaged in multicrew ops. Not in use anymore in ATO environment, so disregard.

-SPIC: The student is supposed to be in control of the entire flight, still being subject to instruction from the FI/FE*. Afaik usually included in certain CPL syllabus for the simulated IFR, IFR or ME phase. Both pilots log hours as PIC, the name of the PIC on both logbooks is the instructor or FE. *For flight exams with the FE, if failed they are logged as DUAL instead. In conclusion, for what I am asking I think SPIC is not usable.

-DUAL: Flight when engaged in instructional duties within a certified course for the obtention of a licence or rating,used in all sitiuations instructing except for the ones that will be logged as SPIC. For the situation asked I think is not correct to log hours as dual, but I am unsure since I have seen instructors log this kind of hours, plus most pilot members of a club will always be pressing to log hours for them, as PIC so that they can be used for licence revalidation.

-PIC: Self explanatory.

So this is how I would consider doing it for club checks...

Going back to the subject, my understanding is that for club checkrides the logical and most clear choice would be to just consider the hours as PIC for the club pilot (obviously the FI gets paid the Dual fee ) the instructor logs nothing, but you still need leave written proof somehere that the flight has been done with the FI, so I guess that the paper form that most schools or clubs have would be good to leave that noted for the authority. What is unclear to me supposing that all previous is right is what to do with plane books, do you write one or both in the pilot column?.

Feel free to correct the previous entire paragraph that was my idea of how to do it but it is unclear depending who you ask,...

And what about hours for the SEP revalidation (12+1 hours within last year). My understanding is that this is the only exception, since there you are performing a flight with the purpose of (re)obtaining a new licence so in that case DUAL would be the right way to proceed. What do you think?

Thanks again for your good advice, I look forward to your answers

Happy landings.

Samuel