PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter training in Canada, worth it?
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 15:29
AviatorAtHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A long time ago, I was faced with the same question. I did a lot of research, made a lot of phone calls and in the end, decided not to pursue flying as a career. What made me steer away from it were conversations with helicopter operators regarding potential job opportunities. I asked: "Suppose I have in my hand a commercial license with 100 hours, would you hire me?". The conversations were quite honest. When you hear that an owner wouldn't recommend flying to his own son, it has to make you wonder about the career itself and your chances of actually finding a job after spending 60K to get a license you can't do much with. Of course, maybe had I went with it, I would have had a great career... I guess you never know until you try it out for yourself. If I could suggest anything, make your own phone calls and have a candid conversations with the guys that may potentially be your future bosses. I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but I think it is a good idea to listen to all sides of the story before making such a huge commitment.