PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAN Base
Thread: MAN Base
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 11:18
Three Lions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following my refusal to enter one of the new capsule type body scanner recently, and I have to be factual and say, the following "polite and friendly" discussion that I had with the security supervisor on duty during my period behind the curtain I was fully enjoying the joys of being frisked, probed, and made to read and sign a clip boarded form, then turnover of security staff was cited as a major issue for the security teams.

Generally high turnover is caused by either/or singular or in any combination
- poor wages
- poor departmental management style
- poor contracts

One can only surmise if security operatives at MAN are affected by any of the above.

On another note if you are serious about MAN as a base, one of the most remarkable anecdotes available, and one that ought get you into the zone into how the airport is managed, is the one detailing the closing of the taxiway to the threshold of the nearest runway to the terminal, (for accuracy backtrack was available for the first 330m of the runway affected by this notamed taxiway closure).

This section of taxiway was closed for the height of summer last year and fenced off and unbelievably used as a carpark. Yes that's right read it again incredibly the entrance to the runway was closed and used as a carpark - this actually happened around the same time that crews were transferred to a carpark even further away than the previous staff carpark.

I won't even go into the absolute shambolic management of staff far east and the related roadwork saga that airport management appear have zero interest in. You do have to question the sanity of allocating possibly the trade group most linked to fatigue to the furthest carpark, the route to which for motorway network arrivees navigates through a quite outstanding bottleneck "24 hour traffic control system"

I strongly suspect that that it is safe to say the people making decisions on car parking do not have the benefit of the motorway to staff east section of road in their commute into and out of work.