PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 10:56
nigelh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter... I don’t think your comparison is really correct . You can’t really compare value of a brand new machine with value of a 12-15 year old machine . The 505 is a much cheaper aircraft than the 120 ....probably nearly half the price . The lack of a proper interior in the 505 can be resolved in a number of ways quite easily so not an issue . The other two areas it is not as good as the 120 are noise and manoeuvrability....... there is nothing you can do about those . Where it really scores points are
power ......loads of it . 900kg on hook !!!!
speed ..... genuine 125+ knots max cruise . ( 120 knots more comfy/ economic cruise )
Maintenance .... its a Bell !!!! Of course it will be far and away cheaper than anything French .
So the 120 is a much more expensive, to buy and to run , machine but you cannot just fill with 5 people and fuel and fly away . It is also slower . But it is prettier.
I can see some people moving from the 120 to the 505 just to get the power and the cost savings and I can see the price taking a bit of a knock . At that point if you are only 2-3 up on short flights it would be a great choice . I still believe the 505 will appreciate a lot over the next 3-4 years . I would guess that mine has already gone up by circa 10% and I don’t get delivery until mid July !