PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need of a Scandinavian language?
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2003, 17:21
olholh

I would think WF will be hiring more or less continuously in the years to come, although not in any great numbers. The reason lies partly in some expansion, partly in the fact that many og my old colleagues will be retiring, those borne in 1943-44 and onwards. Particularly 1945-46-47 are a fairly large percentage of the corps.

What kind of company? Started in 1934. All kinds of aircraft over the years, DC3's, some old bomber at one time, then the DHC-2 came along, then into the 60's, the DHC-6, the "kortbaneoperations" the 7, 8, moving south and out, Q400. A long, exciting and varied history. An inseparable part of Norwegian, Arctic and Antarctic aviation history.

I started in 1977, and my Ops. Manager helge, at the time, said I was lucky to get in. Not likely they'd hire anymore for many, many years. I think I was number 97 at the time of hiring. 18 months later there was at least 80 guys behins me on the list. 'Cause things are run as per seniority list.

A strong collective agreement environment was developed over the years. Wages are "diversified" in the sense that it is built up by different elements, providing an environment for improvement in stages and within different job-related, sectionalised description.

The work schedule has always been one of the best in the industry, working strictly to a 7 on/7 off routine, with six weeks paid holiday by those over 40 ( turning into 8 effectively ). IATA ticket agrement, with an efficient office to deal with your request for tickets. A host of other "deals", from which you are free to select.

A good pension scheme. An excellent Loss-of-License arrangement, a superb what they call Personnel-Casco arrangement of the same size as the L-of-L. All of this I have had the privilege of being covered by, when an eye failed. Life-insurances for your and your family is in force.

I could name a host of other things in this realm, but better not, in case someone should think I am being too liberal.

As for the professional side of things. You'll be flying with captains with an immense amount of experience. Over the years, and after having been given a few very effective reminders of what one really is responsible for, a well developed, and finetuned SOP is in force, one that should simplify and secure a very demanding operation. Your FOM is detailed and descriptive, and a very supportive tool for you to use. Your training regime is more demanding than the average industry standard, and so it should be, since you will be operating in one of the worlds most notoriuous regins, weatherwise. A comprhensive Training Department looks after you, every inch of the way.

I can go on ond on.

The only difficult thing About Wideroe, is that once you're in, it's impossible to get out! And that is definately what you'll hear from your spouce when you bring home your first paycheck!

Good Luck.