PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R.A.F. Ouston
Thread: R.A.F. Ouston
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 07:17
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Barksdale Boy
Wasn't there an Ouston Bomb Plot a long while ago?
​​​​​​Indeed there was.

Prior to the V-Force going Low Level the radar bomb plots covered London, Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle and before my time Leicester and East Anglia. When the Force went LL the attack profile for the Yellow Sun required a low level approach followed by a pop up to 11,000 feet. Only a small unimportant city like Newcastle was suitable

Bomber Command had 3 LL routes in UK, BC/LL 21, 23 and 24. BC LL 21 started near Loch Linnie, crossed the Highlands and went South near Kinross. It continued passed Ouston. For the 2E pop-up the aircraft would turn off the route towards Newcastle and start climbing about 12-15 miles from the City centre. A favourite offset was the end of the North pier. Made a pretty good target like Leningrad.

At the time Ouston was also the only site with a jammer. This was from the B50 and required aircraft to fly a North easterly approach against a specific target that changed weekly. Shame really as East Anglia (Brantub) had had 3 jammers which would have given much better training .