PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Non Standard communication
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 03:45
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, while I do like the fact that the usual everyday callouts be set "in black and white", after all that's why they're for, i.e. a "standard operation", I have my own naggings too, which due to some reason or another have sort of propagated. We do have the "clear righ/left side" chap/gal every 10 seconds even when both of us can see the "affected area", that one annoys me quite a bit, but not as much as the one who thinks this should get a response! One captain asked me if I heard them call clear left/right because I didn't say anything back. Well, first of all, if we're getting THAT rigid, I don't have to by SOP, second of all, it's of no use calling clear if we can both see that side. I had this very same captain coming up with a funny "reprimand" of having me on comms while I did the approach preparation (instead of him taking both controls and comms) because when I transferred over to him I said "you have controls" and he was adamant it was "control", singular. Give me a break...

While the adherence to standard calls is quite helpful in standard and non standard situations, and I do try to be as standard as I can within reason and practicality, both to my fellow pilot and to ATC, these kind of things do nothing for CRM and instead you break it down by annoying the other person with such trivial things (even if trivial can be relative). Clear communication is the basis of mutual understanding and I've found that in moments of stress/high workload, just mentioning the particular situation in a clear way gets the job done, and an extra S in "control" is not going to cause mayhem. But I have, however, as some has pointed out, noticed that these rigid and by-the-book 110% types can take longer to get out of a mess (sometimes even agravating the situation by misscommunicating or at least failing to communicate clearly or as intended) than the more "practical" guys. Airmanship takes precedence over anything (as has been pointed out in the thread about OEI+loss of cabin press) and I'd rather have a "non standard pilot" telling me things like they are in a clear manner and not a "standard pilot" confusing the calls for abnormal situations, as it is often the case.

Someone asked about a call for low/high on the PAPI. We do have one: "Above/below profile". I think it was Check Airman who asked for how we would call for "complete" before start check. While I reckon it's not the usual way to do it, hence the lack of a call for that, when we do have the particular case where it is practical to read it all the way, I've heard it being called (being in a Latin outfit) "Leamos Before Start completa", which would literally translate to something like "let's read Before Start check fully". I've also heard "Before Start check including below the line". Regardless of the way being called, in this instance I do call "below the line" and carry on reading without instruction . Personal habit maybe, and perhaps it wouldn't make a difference if I skip the line call altogether, but I like reading the whole checklist as usual, just skipping the confirmation for the "below" since I was already instructed to skip it.

Oh and about the centerline call on a visual I'd just say with a lot of sarcasm and a big grin and excited eyes "oh cool, I've always wante to land an A320 on the grass!" If that doesn't get your attention, no "track" or whatever call will