PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Passenger Fined $500 for apple
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2018, 15:30
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
Yes, as we have just been reminded, she consciously put in in her bag with the intention of eating it at some later time, ergo it couldn't possibly have slipped her mind that it was in there or that the regulations/declarations that had probably never had any bearing on any of her previous Global Entries were relevant on this occasion.

At least I think that's how the argument goes ...
Well, one doesn't get to retain Global Entry privileges by being "forgetfully" stupid when it comes to basic, easy-to-follow, longstanding importation and declaration rules written clearly and displayed prominently in multiple places. Even if she has the memory of a goldfish, she can still read, and theres no dispute that she knew she was entering the U.S. Everyone with Global Entry knows, and it's stressed, that violating the rules will result in having it taken away.

Global Entry is accompanied by being held to a higher standard for knowing and adhering to the Entry rules. She failed, got caught, and now has to enter with those who aren't held to that standard.

Seems the other argument goes something like; "People forget things. I have forgotten things myself, ergo this lady just "forgot" the apple and/or the rules, or "forgot" that there are rules, or "forgot" she could read them, or "forgot" the read rules apply to her, or "forgot" to how to read entirely. Therefore, the Customs man enforcing Agricultural importation rules and applying penalties for breaking those rules is a big meanie because she just "forgot"."

I forgot to turn off the lights off the other day leaving the house, but I'm pretty sure that doing so doesn't give me a free border pass or valid excuse for ignorance or disregard for the rules entering the couple dozen countries I do every year, let alone my own.

Last edited by PukinDog; 26th Apr 2018 at 16:32.