PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines wants a cabin crew ‘young and pretty’
Old 1st Oct 2003, 16:14
missleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The announcement by MAS does not suprise me in the least. It appalls me but doesn't suprise me.
You just have to look at some of the actions and decisions of the Malaysian leader, Dr. Mohamed Mahatir to realise that.
He is not afraid of voicing his opinions of the western world (especially Australia), and although he proclaims his country is harmoniously made up of many different cultures, spending some time there will show you another side. It is very obvious that Malaysia is separated into classes, whether they like to admit it or not. You have the Malays, Chinese Malays and Indian Malays, assorted other ethnic groups then of course you have the women. It doesn't take long to realise the Indian Malays are the lower caste.

The decision made by MAS to retire female flight attendants at 40 is one that can only happen in a country with UNEQUAL employment opportunities. I am trying to keep religion out of this but given the fact that males used to be able to have 4 wives etc, surely this is another example of females being the subordinates, living in a culture where males rule. Unfortunately a good example of dictatorship is the case of Anwar Ibrahim, who was jailed for alledged sodomy.

MAS give the example of safety and alertness. Well what about the men?? Surely their alertness will also diminish at the ripe old age of 40 also, but they are allowed to work for another 15 years. Doesn't make sense to me.

My opinion is Malaysia is still a Moslem country with Moslem beliefs. They have opened them selves up for financial benefit through business and tourism and maybe many of us get a bit relaxed about the real issue in that country. Not many other Moslem countries have allowed such freedom for foreigners.

Personally I think it's a bad decision, but it's something we cannot change. I know there is a lot of racism in that country, towards females, mixed breeds and westerners, but apparently that is the way of the religion. I hope they elect another PM soon with some more liberal thought. Until then I still enjoy Malaysia and accept the fact I visit a country that has so much to offer and unfortunately have respect their culture albeit against "our" beliefs.

"Malaysia, not so truely Asia"