PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel Piper Archer gets a 2nd engine
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2018, 07:29
no_one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Australopithecus

In North America for example there is no such thing as a csu or rg endorsement. Or a conventional gear (tailwheel) either. A pilot certificate confers upon the holder rights and responsibilities that include type familiarity without dragging some inspector into the equation. All single pilot aeroplanes are treated as a class...a S/E is good for all regular performance singles, likewise a M/E endorsement for all light twins.
Close but not 100% Refer FAA 61.31
(e)Additional training required for operating complex airplanes.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane, unless the person has -

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (e)(1) of this section is not required if the person has logged flight time as pilot in command of a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane prior to August 4, 1997.
A complex aircraft is:

Complex airplane means an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller, including airplanes equipped with an engine control system consisting of a digital computer and associated accessories for controlling the engine and propeller, such as a full authority digital engine control; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller, including seaplanes equipped with an engine control system consisting of a digital computer and associated accessories for controlling the engine and propeller, such as a full authority digital engine control.
So while they don't have a specific "CSU endorsement", if you want to fly an aircraft with flaps, adjustable pitch and retractable you need a "complex endorsement". The theory of system operation is covered in the private pilot exam. The signoff is relatively easily obtained with a bit of ground training and and hour or two in the air.

EDIT for completeness here is the section from FAA 61.31 for a tailwheel aircraft

(i)Additional training required for operating tailwheel airplanes.

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (i)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a tailwheel airplane unless that person has received and logged flight training from an authorized instructor in a tailwheel airplane and received an endorsement in the person's logbook from an authorized instructor who found the personproficient in the operation of a tailwheel airplane. The flight training must include at least the following maneuvers and procedures:

(i) Normal and crosswind takeoffs and landings;

(ii) Wheel landings (unless the manufacturer has recommended against such landings); and

(iii) Go-around procedures.

(2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (i)(1) of this section is not required if the person logged pilot-in-command time in a tailwheel airplane before April 15, 1991.
[