PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 23, 2018!
Old 26th Apr 2018, 06:34
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IBJoel
That can be fixed by disabling Infinite Scroll here: https://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=editoptions
Be sure to hit save at the bottom.
Thanks, that's one snag fixed, at least on a machine running Linux and Firefox!

I'll try and do some more work on seeing how to get PPRuNe to work properly on a large screen tablet later. Unfortunately, the mobile skin is pretty dire on a big screen; it seems optimised for those using a 'phone, and somehow the forum seems to think that large screen format tablets are phones, perhaps because it just (wrongly) assumes that any device that's not running a desktop operating system must be a phone. I can manually switch my tablet to always load the "full fat" version of the site, but that then has problems with the way stuff is formatted on screen. If I find a fix I'll flag it back here.

Some pages are still taking forever and a day to load now; but part of that may be down to the new version waiting until all the graphics in the ads etc have loaded. Looking at the scripts that are slowing things up it seems that they are all links to ad servers, so my guess is that some of the site advertisers content may be now causing some of the issues being reported. Not sure why this should happen now, when it didn't happen with the old version, but could it be connected with where the ads are on each page?

Seems possible, as the slowest pages to load (so slow that I've given up trying to view them several times now) are the ones where ads appear between posts.

I hate to say this, but I would guess that if this is the problem then some may well choose to just ad block PPRuNe. I'm ad blocking it now, even though I know the forum has to generate revenue to exist, and I've been around here long enough to really want to keep PPRuNe going, just because without the ads blocked things are just far to slow to be usable.