PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flawed advice from Transport Minister McCormack’s office regarding SBAS
Old 25th Apr 2018, 22:51
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Leadsled:
You are not even close as to the DGPS available, and what position accuracy I can get, pretty much anywhere in Australia, RFN.

Tomorrow, from Australian retailers, I can buy now what I regard as quite an amazing range of ready made circuit boards, from a range of manufacturers, some of whom, I am please to say, are Australia, that are not only GPSIII all signals capable, but can simultaneously process Glonass and Galileo signals. They meet their specification, not marketing hype.
I don't want "circuit boards", I want a ready made product that works out of the box in an aircraft, car or boat for a few hundred dollars. WAAS already owns that territory globally. I can drive into town and pick up a WAAS enabled gadget in ten minutes for a few dollars. Dynon makes an $800 WAAS enabled receiver that meets the FAA ADSB mandate the equivalent Australian solution is at least $5000 or $10000 if I want a certified GPS navigator. If history is any guide, WAAS enabled technology is only going to get cheaper, Grand Rapids EFIS has announced the ability to construct synthetic LPV approaches and, for better or for worse, the days of the $10000 GPS navigator are numbered.

Australia has a simply shocking record of technology implementation. Look at the disaster that is NBN. So when a Minister has a rare bout of sanity and says " lets use a complete off the shelf positioning solution - WAAS" , the usual idiots come out; "Its too expensive!", "We don't need it!", "Something better is just around the corner!" It's not, we do and it isn't.