PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 23, 2018!
Old 25th Apr 2018, 18:06
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemmb
The final "upgrade" introduced ads that followed you up and down the screen, so no matter if you you scrolled up or down the ad remained centre stage.
Something very similar happens when trying to use PPRuNe on an Android tablet with Firefox, except it's the title bar that stays in the centre of the screen whilst you can scroll stuff up and down behind it. The work around at the moment is:

1 - Stop trying to use a tablet to view PPRuNe, as it's just too much hassle.

2 - Scroll right down to the bottom of each page, when the title bar (which is a lot deeper than the old one) will eventually disappear (if you're lucky - this trick does not work on any thread with only a couple of replies to the initial post).

Overall, things seem to have got a LOT slower on Windows, virtually impossible on an iPad, a bit annoying on an Android tablet, but pretty much OK using Firefox on a Linux machine.

There is a heck of a lot more variability between different platforms than there used to be, I know not why, but it does seem that the new version hasn't been tested and debugged properly for use on a wide range of systems. What I find odd is that it seems to work best on a Linux box running Firefox. If anything I'd have expected it to run better under Windows, but Windows and Firefox seem to have a few issues, including the jump from the old to the new format from one sub-forum to another, the jumps in text size on the screen and the strange lock ups with whatever the script is that results in the rotating black arrows at the bottom of the screen, that stop you being able to reply to anything on that thread for around 10 minutes or so, when eventually the "reply" button row will appear.