PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 landing on centerline
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2018, 12:53
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAT 5
A/C is on centerline when passing threshold but during flare it goes to left.

Firstly, no it doesn't. You let it or caused it. What is curious is that most F/O's err on landing right of centreline. The centreline is judged by it being right between your legs. Do Not try and offset it. You are sitting <1m from the centreline. You can not judge/assess any offset. I can guarantee that if you taxi the a/c or the captain taxis the a/c with the centreline between your legs, from either seat, you will be on the line.

You can see the centreline accurately from 200'agl. You come over the threshold at 50' and there is no doubt where the centreline is. It should be between your legs. it is your job to keep it there. If you drift off it can be slight left aileron; although that would be strange as you are flying with your right hand and that would mean lifting your hand. A more natural tendency is to pull down, not up. After 1500hrs you should not be nudging the rudders. If this is a frequent error then I assume it's not due to wind.
It's a concentration issue to maintain the centreline during the flare. You mention too much thought about the flare & power. Power is easy as it is idle, but then the nose wants to fall. That's controlled by elevator, as is flare. It's a coordinated controlled combination of elevator & aileron dictated by your eyes.
You say you've tried to fix the problem? How? It's not complicated, but maybe you are making it so.
You sure about that? I have always aimed to land and therefore landed, with the centreline "running up the nearest leg, to the quadrant".

if you are unable to "nail the centreline" you are therefore not in full control of the aircraft. Might sound like a wizeguy statement but it is true.